Sausage Ratatouille Casserole Recipe & Two-Step Soup
This dish is quintessential comfort food and the bonus is leftovers make soup for another meal. Preparing this dish also gives the cook a chance to be creative by choosing which ingredients appeal most for this meal in bowl. You can easily omit some of the vegetables, pick what you like best. The more vegetables added, the more people can be served. Basic recipe will serve four nicely.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium to large eggplant, cut up into 1 inch chunks
- 1 purple onion, sliced into semi circles
- 1 red pepper, cut up into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, cut up into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 pound to 20 ounces turkey Italian sausage
- 1 14-ounce can tomato pieces
- 1 box frozen spinach
- 1 pound small white potatoes, cut up into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut into quarters (Optional)
Topping Options: Grated Parmesan cheese and/or crumbled feta cheese
Sausage Ratatouille Casserole Recipe Directions:
- Place eggplant chunks in a medium bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. With a metal spatula turn over all pieces midway in the cooking.
- While eggplant bakes, place 2 tablespoons olive oil and onion slices in heavy casserole or 4-quart cook pot. Saute onion about five minutes, add peppers, toss and cook five more minutes. Add zucchini, toss and cook 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet and push turkey sausage out of casings, crumble and brown about 10 minutes. Add mushroom pieces, if desired, and cook five minutes longer.
- Combine eggplant and sausage with the peppers and onion. Stir well.
- Add tomatoes, and spinach and/or potatoes, if desired. Stir well and simmer on low 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with cheese on top and crusty cracked wheat bread.
We like to make plenty of this satisfying dish and refrigerate leftovers. Step one is already done for a great soup. The next day reheat in medium saucepan adding chicken broth as needed for liquid and add any other left over vegetables in the refrigerator such as green beans or cauliflower to make this two step soup. Serve again with grated cheese and crusty bread.