Lamb Shepherd Pie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 3/4 pound ground fresh lamb
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 11 by 7 by 1 1/2 inch pan
- Single pie crust or frozen puffed pastry
Lamb Pie Recipe Directions:
- Heat oil in large skillet, sauté onion until softened.
- Add the lamb and cook until brown.
- Add stock, rice, herbs and spices. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in egg, currants and pine nuts. Allow the filling to cool.
- Spoon filling into pan. Top with pie crust or puffed pastry, crimping the edges to fit the pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes until pastry puffs and is golden.
If the puff pastry looks like too much work, use a pie crust on top only.