Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
- 8 ounces chocolate wafer cookies
- 3 ounces melted sweet butter
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels or squares chopped
- 16 ounces, 2 8 ounces packages, cream cheese at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Crumble the cookies and place them into bowl of food processor.
- Run processor til you have a fine crumb.
- Drizzle in butter and run til crumbs clump.
- Set rack in oven one third up from bottom and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Use a 9 x 3 inch springform pan, butter the sides but not the bottom.
- Pour about 2/3 of the chocolate crumbs into bottom of pan, tilt the pan and pat crumbs with fingertips to let crust form up the sides.
- Pour in the rest of the crumbs and pat firmly to coat the bottom.
- Optional: add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.
- Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water on low heat.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, cream the cream cheese until it is very smooth.
- Add vanilla, salt, sugar, and beat until smooth.
- Add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate, beat well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, continuously beating.
- Add sour cream and beat til smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crumb crust.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, should still be soft when done.
- Remove from oven, cool on a rack, and gently remove cake from outer ring.
If making ahead, wrap carefully in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
Optional: Top with a spoonful of whipped cream (about 1 1/2 cups whipped with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla) and sprinkle with additional crushed peppermints.