Exquisite long grain wild rice, gluten free corn pasta shells, and a delicate seasonings blend with added chicken, asparagus and optional white wine combine for an elegant chicken soup celebration.
Wild Rice Soup Mix Ingredients:
Wild rice, corn pasta (gluten free corn flour), onions, carrots, celery, leeks and herbs. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 quartered chicken (or 2 whole chicken breasts)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas or asparagus pieces
- Optional: 1 cup white wine
- In a 6 quart pot, toss vegetables in packet lightly in oil over low heat.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Rinse wild rice and add to pot with chicken and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove chicken to cool.
- Cut chicken meat off the bones and return to pot.
- Bring back to a boil, add pasta packet and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add peas for last few minutes of cooking time, add wine if desired.
- Allow it to cool slightly before serving.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables add 1 1/2 cups chopped celery and/or 1 1/2 cups bok choy with the peas or asparagus in the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, add 1/2 cup sliced, blanched, unsalted almonds in final 5 minutes of cooking.
- To cut saturated fat, use vegetable oil rather than butter to sauté vegetables. Remove any skin from chicken.
- To cut sodium prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 4 quart
- In a skillet, toss contents of vegetables in packet lightly in butter and oil over low heat.
- Rinse wild rice and add to bowl of slow cooker with chicken and broth.
- Transfer vegetables to slow cooker, stir well. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
- Remove chicken to cool. Cut chicken off bones and return to slow cooker. Season with pepper. (Some cooks use boneless chicken breast, cut into small strips, to avoid the messy step of cutting meat off the bones.)
- Add peas, wine and pasta. Cook for 30 minutes and serve.
Wisconsin Lakeshore Wild Rice Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 3 Tbsp. Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 15
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||25|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||5%||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%||12%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|