This mild chili mix combines sweet potatoes and peppers with added artichoke hearts and ground turkey for a savory white bean chili.
White Bean Chili Mix Ingredients:
Navy beans, sweet potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, celery, paprika, garlic and spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 1 pound fresh ground turkey or chicken (or for a vegetarian version, eliminate the meat and add one large peeled and diced sweet potato.)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered or one box frozen (May leave out if using sweet potato)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or for a “quick soak” boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or more.
While simmering beans:
- Sauté turkey in oil over medium heat.
- Stir in vegetable packet and artichoke hearts.
- Add broth and drained beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Optional: Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, and/or sour cream.
Vegetarian Version: (No Turkey)
For a fun variation get one large sweet potato instead of the artichoke hearts.
- Follow directions for preparing the beans.
- Peel and dice one large sweet potato.
- Saute sweet potato in oil, add mix, soaked and simmered beans, and broth.
- Simmer about 45 minutes and serve.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups fresh, shredded cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, or chopped bell peppers in final 10 minutes of cooking time.
- To go Vegetarian, substitute diced 1 large sweet potato, or 1 diced fresh or 2 1/2 cups frozen acorn squash for ground turkey.
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with extra lean ground turkey or chicken, or go Vegetarian. Serve with optional lime wedges, cilantro and nonfat, plain Greek yogurt rather than sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
- Serve chili in taco shells with slices of fresh avocado and sour cream. A great use for leftover chili!
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
Prepare the beans the night before:
- Rinse, drain and pick over the beans.
- Place beans in a bowl with 2 quarts water, let stand on counter overnight.
Assembling the chili in the morning (or the night before):
- In a skillet, sauté ground turkey or chicken in oil over medium heat. Stir in contents of vegetable packet.
- Transfer seasoned turkey to bowl of slow cooker. (Cover and refrigerate, if doing the night before.)
- Drain beans and add to slow cooker with broth and artichoke hearts.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours.
- Optional: Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, or shredded cheddar cheese
California Gold Rush White Bean Chili
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 3 Tbsp. (36g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 12
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||80|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||14%|
|Saturated Fat 0mg||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0mg|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||7%||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%||44%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|