Zesty Mexican spices, quick cooking dehydrated black beans, peppers and sweet corn are the base for this Southwestern specialty. Add chicken, salsa and tortilla chips to finish. Our top seller and NASFT Sofi Award winner. Soup so good, you’ll want to host a party.
Tortilla Soup Mix Ingredients:
Dehydrated black beans, non GMO freeze dried corn, red and green bell pepper, onion, garlic and spices.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 – 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 12 – 16 oz salsa
- Optional Garnish: 4 oz. tortilla chips, crumbled, or tortilla strips
- In a 4-qt pot bring broth and water to a boil.
- Add contents of South of the Border Tortilla Soup Mix, chicken and salsa.
- Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Serve as is, or crumble chips into bowls and pour hot soup on top!
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add one 14 ounce can no salt added, fire-roasted tomatoes and add 1 cup fresh chopped bell peppers with soup mix.
- To boost fruit, cut up 1 mango and add in final 5 minutes of cooking time.
- To go Vegetarian, substitute for chicken 2 chopped chayote squash (the “seed” inside is edible) or 1 large diced sweet potato (microwave before cutting up for 5 minutes).
- To give a Mediterranean twist, substitute 1 pound shrimp for chicken (see Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website).
- To cut sodium, substitute 1 can no salt added, roasted or diced tomatoes plus 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for salsa, and top with fresh chopped cilantro, diced avocado or thin slices of fresh lime rather than tortilla chips (see Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website). Prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Optional garnishes of chopped fresh cilantro, diced fresh avocado or thin slices of fresh lime make a festive presentation! Shrimp can be used as an addition instead of chicken for a delicious shrimp tortilla soup! Use 1 lb peeled and deveined or frozen baby shrimp. Add for last 5 minutes of cooking time.
South of the Border Tortilla Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 2 tbsp (15g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 9
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||25|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||3%||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%||16%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|