Pinwheel tomato slices highlight this basil, yellow pepper, carrot and rice blend for an easy vegetable style tomato soup. Add cream, if desired, and serve with a grilled cheese sandwich or, more elegantly, with shrimp and feta cheese.
Tomato Basil Soup Mix Ingredients:
Rice, carrot, onion, celery, shallots, dried tomatoes, Italian parsley, yellow bell pepper and spices.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 29-oz can tomato puree
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup light, or heavy cream, or buttermilk
- In a 3 or 4-quart non-aluminum pot bring broth to a boil.
- Add contents of Mississippi Delta Tomato Basil Soup Mix to broth.
- Add tomato puree and brown sugar.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer slowly, covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream to blend, continue on low heat for 5 minutes, and serve!
*Aluminum reacts with the acid in tomatoes and may cause a metallic taste.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh or frozen carrots or cauliflower with the soup mix. For creamy texture, add broth and mash vegetables into the soup as they cook (or use hand immersion blender to puree).
- To boost whole grains, and to further thicken soup, add 1 cup quick oatmeal in final 10 minutes of cooking. Puree soup with hand immersion blender.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, add 3/4 lb. shrimp or cut up, firm white fish in final 5 minutes of cooking. For Inventive Variations suggestions on the package or website, garnish each serving with a dollop of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt or sliced avocados rather than crumbled feta, blue or Parmesan cheese.
- To cut saturated fat, substitute low-fat buttermilk for cream.
- To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added tomato puree and low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
- To cut added sugar, prepare with 1 tablespoon instead of 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
Add 3/4 lb fresh shrimp, peeled, and deveined for last 5 minutes of cooking. Garnish each serving with 1/2 cup crumbled feta, blue or parmesan cheese.
Mississippi Delta Tomato Basil Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 2 Tbsp (13g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 10
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||50|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||9%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%||8%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|