Summer Waldorf Salad Recipe
July’s heat calls for an easy summer salad. This recipe is a variation on the classic Waldorf salad. Orange dressing substitutes for the original mayonnaise, avocados make it summery, sunflower seeds add crunch and fit with the Mediterranean eating plan. Chicken is optional, if having salad as the main course. The following recipe will make ample portions for two main dish servings or 4 side salad servings.
- 1 large, crisp apple, cored and diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 to 6 ounces mixed greens
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup walnuts, slightly chopped
- 4 ounces Blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed
- About 1/2+ cup Orange Salad Dressing
- Optional: 1 to 2 cups chopped grilled chicken breast
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dry mustard, salt
- 1 cup oil, either vegtable or canola
- Combine all ingredients in a 1 pint glass jar, make sure lid is securely attached and shake.
- Use as needed to lightly coat salad greens.
- May keep in refrigerator for weeks.
- In a large bowl mix together, diced apple, celery and lettuce.
- Cut avocado in half, scoop out green meat of avocado and cut up. Add to apple mixture. Toss lightly with dressing.
- Toast walnuts for 3 minutes in skillet over medium heat until slightly browned and crisped.
- Cool and add with blue cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Toss and serve.