Add butternut squash and orange juice to complete this delicious golden soup designed for vegetarian tastes. Contains over 12 grams of whole grain per 8-oz. serving. (This soup was formerly named Washington State Squash and Lentil Soup Mix.)
This is a seasonal soup and only available for a limited time.
Squash Lentil Soup Mix Ingredients:
Red lentils, bulgur, red pepper, onion, orange peel, cayenne and spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: This product contains wheat.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large, sweet, yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 12 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 bunch fresh green onions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
- In a 6 quart pot, sauté onion and butternut squash in butter about 10 minutes.
- Stir in contents of seasoning packet.
- Add broth and lentil/bulgur wheat mix, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add orange juice and orange pieces.
- Sprinkle in green onions and serve this pretty-as-a-sunset whole grain soup.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups chopped carrots with the squash.
- To cut saturated fat, use 2 tablespoons vegetable oil instead of butter to sauté onion and butternut squash and carrots.
- To cut sodium prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
- To cut added sugars, prepare with 100% orange juice and go for mandarins canned or packed in 100% juice or water. Like adding wine to a stew, orange juice adds a touch of sweetness.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 4-6 quart
- In a large skillet sauté butternut squash and chopped onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in contents of seasoning packet.
- Continue to stir and sauté 3 minutes longer on medium-low, then, transfer to bowl of slow cooker.
- Add broth and lentil/bulgur mix. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
- Add orange juice and mandarin oranges. Cook a few minutes.
- Sprinkle in green onions and serve!
Pacific Northwest Squash and Lentil Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 3 Tbsp. Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 15
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||25|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||5%||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%||12%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|