Italian seasonings of oregano and basil combine with red and green lentils to give this hearty soup its great flavor and high fiber content. Add Italian sausage and red wine for a full-bodied meal.
Sausage Lentil Soup Mix Ingredients:
Green and red lentils, rice, onions, carrots, celery, leeks, paprika and herbs. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 12 cups beef broth
- 2 to 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- Crumble and brown sausage in oil in a 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Rinse, drain and pick over lentils.
- Add lentils, vegetable packet and broth to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, add zucchini after 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and wine to soup.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups chopped kale, spinach, or mushrooms in final 30 minutes of cooking time.
- To boost fruit, add 3/4 cup raisins or 1 diced apple with tomatoes.
- To go Vegetarian, (see Vegetarian Variation on package or website) substitute bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and eggplant for sausage and omit Parmesan cheese when serving.
- To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of sausage and prepare with low-fat, lower sodium chicken sausage as substitute for Italian pork sausage, or substitute 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or beef plus ½ teaspoon each salt-free garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, or go Vegetarian.
- To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added canned diced tomatoes and low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Vegetarian Recipe Variation:
Start the soup with sautéing the vegetables that go into ratatouille: a red and green pepper, large onion, 2 medium zucchini, a small eggplant--cut up into 1-inch chunks. Add the soup mix and 8 cups broth. Simmer 45 minutes, add the tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan cheese!
Inventive Recipe Variations:
For variation, a box of frozen, chopped spinach may be substituted for the zucchini! This is a beautiful country supper!
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
- In large skillet crumble and brown sausage in oil, stir in contents of seasoning packet.
- Transfer to bowl of slow cooker and add broth. (May start soup night before and cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- Rinse, drain and pick over lentils, place into slow cooker and stir well.
- Cover and cook on High 4-5 hours.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini and wine and continue on HI 1 hour.
*This soup takes less than 2 hours to make on the stove, so the slow cooker may not offer much convenience.
Indiana Harvest Sausage Lentil Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 2 Tbsp (24g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 19
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||30|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%||24%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|