A hint of cayenne adds a kick to this quickie version of our famous Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder Mix. Simply add broth and cream. Go gourmet with shrimp, scallops or other seafood.
Red Pepper Corn Chowder Mix Ingredients:
Rice, potato, non GMO freeze-dried corn, onion, red bell pepper, celery, chives, dill, cayenne pepper.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 5 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 cup half/half or heavy cream
- Optional: 2 cups scallions, peeled shrimp/cooked cut-up chicken
- Bring broth to a boil in 3-quart saucepan and add Florida Sunshine Red Pepper Corn Chowder Mix ingredients.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add cream, continue cooking on low for 10 minutes with seafood, if desired.
- Turn off heat, let stand 5 minutes and serve!
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 cup diced potato and/or cauliflower with soup mix. In final 10 minutes of cooking, add 1 cup diced red pepper and/or 1 cup diced celery.
- To boost whole grains, add ½ cup quick-cooking brown rice or ½ cup whole grain quinoa, and 1 cup water with soup mix.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, prepare with 12 ounces shrimp, scallops, or cut up salmon, cod or other fish and add during final 10 minutes of cooking time.
- To cut saturated fat, puree 1 can plain, no salt added corn kernels until creamy and substitute for cream. Or mix 1/2 cup plain potato flakes (instant mashed potatoes) with ½ cup nonfat milk and substitute for cream. Use plain instant potato flakes with no sauce, no salt added or sugar added.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
For a cold variation, simmer soup according to original cooking instructions for 30 minutes. Cool completely on stovetop. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Puree soup in a food processor, food mill, or with a hand mixer. Stir in cream. Garnish with fresh snipped dill!
Clam Chowder Recipe Variation:
Add 1-2 cans drained clams for the last five minutes of cooking time.
Florida Sunshine Red Pepper Corn Chowder
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/3 Cup (32g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 6
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||60|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||8%||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%||5%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|