A deep South specialty with file powder and red beans and rice, this thick and hearty meal calls for sausage and chicken.
Gumbo Soup Mix Ingredients:
Red beans, Himalayan red rice, long grain white rice, red and green peppers, celery, onion, chili powder, cayenne, herbs and spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound sausage or diced ham
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen chopped greens (okra is traditional, but spinach, swiss chard or turnip greens are delicious)
- 2 cups cut up cooked chicken or duck
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or for a “quick soak” boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or more.
While simmering the beans:
- Brown sausage in oil over medium heat in an 8 quart pot.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add seasoning packet and stir about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and drained beans.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes, covered.
- Add rice, greens and chicken.
- Simmer 1 hour, covered.
This soup will thicken considerably if made ahead. Add broth to thin out soup consistency.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped okra or fresh or frozen wax beans, with rice packet in the mix.
- To go Vegetarian, omit meat, and substitute 1 chopped bell pepper, 1 medium chopped onion, 1 small chopped zucchini for sausage. Sauté vegetables in oil with seasoning packet.
- To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of sausage and prepare with low-fat, lower sodium chicken sausage as substitute for sausage or ham, or substitute 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or pork plus either 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper spice or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or go Vegetarian. Prepare with chicken without skin rather than duck. For the Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website, substitute vegetable oil for the butter.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Inventive Recipe Variations:
For a vegetarian version of the gumbo soup, omit the meat, but add 2 tablespoons of butter with the oil to sauté the vegetable packet. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and proceed with the recipe. Two of Louisiana’s most famous dishes are blended in this recipe to make a gumbo soup so flavorful and robust it tastes great vegetarian.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker: 4-6 quart
Preparing the soup in the morning (or the night before):
- Crumble and brown sausage in oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Add contents of seasoning packet, stir 1 minute, and transfer to bowl of slow cooker. (May cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- Rinse, drain and pick over beans. Place into slow cooker with sausage mixture and add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HI 6-8 hours.
- Add rice, greens and chicken and cook 1 hour on HI.
Louisiana Red Bean Gumbo
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 3 Tbsp. (31g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 14
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||110|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||20%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||7%||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%||32%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|