A garden blend of leeks and other greens makes this potage a year round favorite. Serve warm with diced ham as an option, or chilled and pureed with a dollop of sour cream!
Potato Leek Soup Mix Ingredients:
Idaho potato cubes, onion, leek, celery, scallions and spices.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 lbs baby red potatoes, chopped not peeled or 24 oz. frozen hash brown potatoes
- Salt to taste and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup light or heavy cream
- In a 3 or 4-quart pot, bring broth to a boil.
- Add contents of Idaho Outpost Potato Leek Soup Mix and potatoes, bring back to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Gently mash potatoes with a fork or back of spoon.
- Stir in cream, season with salt and pepper, if desired, and remove bay leaf.
- Cover and hold on low heat 5 minutes or longer before serving.
To serve chilled, prepare soup and refrigerate overnight. Use immersion blender or potato masher to puree soup. More cream may be added, if soup is too thick. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower, broccoli or asparagus in final 10 minutes of cooking.
- To cut saturated fat, substitute 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk for cream, and mash the potatoes during cooking to thicken the soup. Serve with dollop of nonfat or low-fat, plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. May also top with chopped chives. If using frozen hash browns, prepare with plain hash browns with no sauce. Also check that hash browns have no salt added or sugar added. For the Inventive Variations suggestions on the package and website, go for the Clam Chowder or Potato Cauliflower Soup variations rather than the variations with ham, bacon and blue cheese. For the Potato Cauliflower soup substitute low-fat, plain Greek yogurt for sour cream.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Ham & Potato Soup Recipe:
Add one cup diced ham with cream. Continue to cook on low 10 minutes and serve.
Bacon & Blue Cheese Potato Soup Recipe:
Add 6 pieces of crisp bacon crumbled and 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese with cream. Continue to cook on low 10 minutes and serve.
Clam Chowder Recipe:
Add 1-2 cans drained clams for the last five minutes of cooking time.
Or if you love your veggies, try our new for Potato Cauliflower Soup Recipe Variation!
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, cut up
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Package Idaho Outpost Potato Leek Soup Mix
- Bring broth to a simmer in a 4-quart pot.
- Add Potato Leek Soup mix and cauliflower. Simmer 30 minutes covered.
- Remove bay leaf. Puree the soup using a hand immersion blender in the pot or in batches in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Makes 6.5 cups
Idaho Outpost Potato Leek Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 3 tbsp (11g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 9
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||60|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%||9%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|