Noni’s Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
- 1 package of Dakota Territory Beef Barley Bean Stew
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or substitute 1/2 cup of the broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 to 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 box of frozen peas
- 1/4 pound of fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1 package of refrigerated pop open biscuits
Chicken & Dumplings Recipe Directions:
- In 6-quart pot heat oil, or broth, and add chopped onion.
- Sauté onion about three minutes on medium heat.
- Add contents of the Dakota mix, chicken broth, and chicken pieces. Bring to a simmer and cover, cook for an hour.
- Remove chicken pieces, and allow to cool (refrigerate to speed the cooling) while soup base continues on low heat for a half hour.
- Pull chicken meat off the bones and shred into bite size pieces. Discard the bones and skin.
- Add the chicken meat back into the pot with peas and mushrooms, and stir thoroughly.
- Pop open the biscuits and place them a half inch apart on top of chicken stew.
- Cover and simmer on low about 20 minutes. Test one of the biscuits to make sure it’s not still doughy. Turn off heat and serve.
- Ladle a biscuit and plenty of the stew into each bowl. It will be thick, similar to chicken pot pie. If desired, thin by adding an extra cup of broth or water and stir.
To prepare the meal ahead, pour the prepared stew into a large casserole. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place casserole uncovered into lower third of oven, bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven, place biscuits on top, return to oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown, and serve.