A Shitake mushroom, barley, veggie blend makes the base for this classic. Add a handful of fresh mushrooms and sherry, if desired.
Mushroom Barley Soup Mix Ingredients:
Barley Flakes, Shiitake Mushroom, Onion, Carrot, Red Bell Pepper, Italian Parsley, Dry Mustard and Spices. No added Salt, Perservatives, or MSG.
Allergen Information: May Contain Wheat.
You Will Also Need:
- ½ to 1 lb. sliced, fresh mushrooms (any variety)
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: ½ lb. ground beef (chuck or round)
Here's What You Do:
- In a 3 or 4-qt pot, gently sauté mushrooms in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in contents of Pennsylvania Woodlands Mushroom Barley Soup Mix.
- Add broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add pepper to taste and serve!
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 cup additional mushrooms and 1/2 cup each sliced celery and carrots when sautéing mushrooms in first step of the recipe. Or to vary vegetables, along with the additional cup of mushrooms try adding 1 cup chopped bok choy or frozen green lima beans.
- To boost whole grains, add 1/2 cup whole grain quinoa with soup mix and an additional cup of water.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, in final 5 minutes of cooking time add 12 ounces cut up salmon or firm white fish as substitute for optional ground beef.
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter rather than 2 tablespoons butter to sauté vegetables. Skip optional ground beef or prepare with extra lean ground beef. For the Inventive Variations suggestion on the website and package, prepare with 1 pound extra lean ground beef or turkey rather than veal or pork blend.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
For a delicious mushroom meatloaf, blend soup mix with 2 beaten eggs and 1/4 to 1/2 cup tomato juice or beef broth. Add 1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef or beef/veal/pork blend and thoroughly mix by hand. Shape into an oblong and bake at 350°F in a meatloaf pan for 1 hour. Slice and serve.
Pennsylvania Woodlands Mushroom Barley Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Cup (20g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 6
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||45|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||5%||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%||16%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|