Moroccan Chickpeas with Couscous Recipe
Middle Eastern seasonings make this nutritious and delicious dish an easy meal for six. The chickpea legume and whole grain couscous combine to make a complete protein. It can be served hot or at room temperature for a main meal or a side dish.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package New Mexico Mesa Spicy Fiesta Soup
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (or substitute curry powder)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 Italian tomatoes, diced (or 1 14-ounce can diced, undrained)
- 1 apple, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 package precooked chicken sausage, chicken with apple or
other variety, sliced into rounds, will provide a light meaty version. (optional)
- Prepare the chickpeas from the New Mexico soup mix by soaking all day at room temperature.
- In fresh water bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered, for one hour. (May substitute 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), for a short cut.) Use two cups of prepared beans in this recipe and save the rest, about 3 cups, for other use. (Try your favorite Italian dressing on chickpeas mixed with sliced celery, diced tomatoes, feta cheese, and avocado for a quick nutritious salad.)
Moroccan Chickpeas Recipe Directions:
- Saute onion in 1/4 cup of the chicken broth over medium low heat until the onion is soft. Add the contents of the New Mexico soup mix seasoning packet and cumin, and stir 30 seconds.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the couscous, and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered, 15 minutes.
- Add couscous and mix well. Cover and remove from heat. Allow to to stand five minutes until all liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.