A blend of Italian seasonings, elbow macaroni, and cranberry beans makes this classic preparation a feast for La Familia. Add Brussels sprouts and bacon. Gluten free with corn pasta.
Minestrone Soup Mix Ingredients:
Cranberry beans, red and green peppers, celery, carrots, parsley, corn pasta (no wheat) and herbs. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 purple onion, diced
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 pint fresh (or 1 box frozen) brussel sprouts or 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature, or for a “quick soak” boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans, and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or more.
While beans are simmering:
- Cut bacon in 1/2 inch pieces and sauté over medium heat in a 6 quart pot until nearly crisp.
- Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable packet and toss lightly.
- Add broth and drained cranberry beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes and brussel sprouts and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.
Two cups shredded cabbage may be substituted for brussel sprouts in this classic Italian “Big Soup”.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 large chopped fennel bulb with the tomatoes and Brussel sprouts, and/or add 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas in final 5 minutes of cooking.
- To go Vegetarian, omit bacon and prepare with vegetable broth, and add 3 cloves minced garlic and 2 cups finely chopped parsnips. In recipe, skip bacon directions and sauté onion in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat in a 6 quart pot for five minutes. Stir in garlic with vegetable packet.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, substitute 1 pound scallops or firm white fish for bacon, and add in final 10 minutes of cooking.
- To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of bacon and prepare with lower sodium, turkey bacon as substitute for bacon, or substitute 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey plus 1/2 teaspoon each salt-free garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, or go Vegetarian or go for a Mediterranean twist. Garnish each serving with 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves rather grated Parmesan cheese, or sprinkle on just a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese per serving.
- To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added canned diced tomatoes or diced fresh tomatoes, and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 6 quart
Preparing the beans the night before:
- Rinse, drain and pick over the beans.
- Place beans in a bowl with 2 quarts water, let stand on counter overnight.
Assembling the soup in the morning (or the night before):
- Cut bacon in 1/2 inch pieces and sauté over medium heat in a skillet until nearly crisp.
- Add onion and contents of vegetable packet and sauté 5 minutes on low heat.
- Transfer mixture to bowl of slow cooker. (May cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- Drain beans and add with broth to slow cooker. Cover and cook on High 4-5 hours.
- Add tomatoes and Brussels sprouts. Cover and cook on High 2 hours. Add pasta for last 30 minutes.
New York Corner Cafe Minestrone Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 2 Tbsp. (27g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 16
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||40|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%||28%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|