Red Ancho and Green chilies with some cayenne pepper give a kick of heat to our basic corn bread mix. Add buttermilk and bake in an 8 inch square pan or muffin tin for a Southwestern treat.
Mexican Cornbread Mix Ingredients:
Cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Spice packet: green chilies, red ancho peppers and cayenne.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
Mexican Cornbread Recipe Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in 8x8 pan in oven – butter may turn brown. Then, swirl butter in pan to coat bottom and sides.
- Pour remaining butter from pan into mixing bowl. Blend in eggs and buttermilk.
- Add cornbread mix and contents of spice packet and stir thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into preheated pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until cornbread is firm on top and lightly browned.