Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
A great summer side salad or main dish with high fiber chick peas. Using the dried chick peas (also called garbanzo beans) in the New Mexico Mesa Spicy Fiesta Soup mix will give premium bean results with none of the salt in canned beans.
- 1 package New Mexico Mesa Spicy Fiesta Soup
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 small purple onion diced
- 1 box frozen artichokes, cooked in microwave
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Optional: 8 ounces diced salami
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe Directions:
- Soak beans 4 to 8 hours at room temperature in plenty of water. Drain beans, place into cook pot with 2 quarts of fresh water and simmer for 2 full hours. Drain again and place into large salad bowl.
- While beans simmer, bring 1 1/2 cups chicken broth to a simmer and add the contents of the Spicy Fiesta seasoning packet. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir to fluff the saffron rice mixture.
- Add in and stir tomatoes, onion, artichokes, olives, Feta cheese, salt and pepper and salami (optional).
- In separate small bowl mix lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve or refrigerate until ready to dine. Serve at room temp.