Two red Santaka peppers and classic chili seasonings heat up this authentic red bean chili mix. Add ground beef and pork for a blaze-of-glory family favorite.
This chili mix makes a delicious blaze-of-glory chili that is sure to satisfy!
Chili Mix Ingredients:
Kidney beans, cranberry beans, onion, chili peppers, celery, peppers, paprika, garlic, cayenne, spices and herbs. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
*Note: Be sure to thoroughly cook the dark red kidney beans after soaking for several hours. We recommend soaking overnight for best cooking results. Undercooked dark red kidney beans can cause serious digestive problems.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced pork
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place beans in bowl with 8 cups water. Soak at room temperature overnight or longer for best cooking results. The slow rehydration of the red kidney beans allows the benas to soften in cooking much more evenly and quickly.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or more.
While beans are simmering:
- Sauté pork slices in a 4 quart pot.
- Crumble beef into pot and continue to brown.
- Stir in vegetable packet (for milder chili, remove one or both chili peppers) and brown sugar.
- Add drained beans, tomatoes, broth, wine, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove chili peppers and bay leaves before serving.
- Optional toppings: sour cream, grated cheddar cheese or tortilla chips.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add additional can no salt added tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups fresh diced bell peppers, and 1/2 cup chopped carrots with the soup mix.
- To go Vegetarian, substitute 1-2 boxes frozen or 1 pound fresh cut up butternut or acorn squash for meat.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, top each serving with 2 teaspoons unsalted sunflower seeds.
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with 1lb. extra lean ground chuck and 1/4 pound extra lean pork, or go Vegetarian. At serving time, blend scallions or cilantro with nonfat, plain Greek yogurt and use as topping instead of sour cream, chips or cheese.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium canned diced tomatoes or diced fresh tomatoes and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
- To cut added sugar, prepare with 1 tablespoon instead of 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 4 quart.
Preparing the Beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over beans.
- Place in a bowl with water to cover by two inches and soak overnight.
- In the morning drain beans and place in 4-quart pot on the stove with fresh water to cover by two inches.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and drain when ready to add to slow cooker bowl.
Preparing the Soup:
- The night before or in the morning while beans are simmering, use a large skillet and brown the cut up pieces of pork in oil and transfer into the bowl of 4-quart slow cooker.
- Brown the ground beef in the same skillet.
- Add the contents of the Michigan Ski Country Chili Mix and stir well for 30 seconds, then transfer to the bowl of slow cooker.
- Put cover on the bowl and refrigerate overnight so that step is done, or if preparing in the morning, proceed by adding the canned tomatoes, brown sugar, red wine, and drained beans.
- Stir together, set slow cooker on low and let it cook for 8 hours.
- Come home to a full bodied hearty chili supper. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and/or shredded cheddar on top, if desired.
Michigan Ski Country Chili
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 1/4 Cup (42g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 11
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||10||110|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 1g*||2%||20%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||8%||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%||36%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|