With black beluga lentils and sliced onions in the mix, this soup has substance and nutrition not in a typical French onion soup. Rich and robust on its own or extra luscious with French bread and cheese topping.
French Onion Soup Mix Ingredients:
Black Beluga Lentils, Onion, Carrot, Leeks and Spices. No added Salt, Perservatives, or MSG.
Allergen Information: May contain wheat.
You Will Also Need:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 large, sweet onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider/juice
- 1 Teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Optional: Top with 8 oz shredded Gruyere cheese and 2 cups croutons
Here's What You Do:
- Peel onion and cut into quarters, then cross cut quarters to form narrow semi-circle slices.
- In a 4-quart pot melt butter and sauté onion 10 minutes, or to caramelize onion, add 1 teaspoon sugar and continue to cook to a golden brown an extra 10 minutes.
- Add contents of Chicago Bistro French Onion Soup Mix and stir 30 seconds.
- Add broth, apple cider/juice and Worcestershire.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low 40 minutes.
- Serve as is or may top each bowl with croutons and cheese.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms and/or 1 cup chopped yellow squash in final 10 minutes of cooking.
- To boost fruit, add 1 chopped apple with soup mix and prepare with 100% apple cider.
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter rather than 3 tablespoons butter to sauté onions. Skip the optional cheese topping, and top with chopped green scallions or chopped chives. For the Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website, prepare with 12 ounces extra lean ground beef stew meat.
- To cut sodium, skip optional croutons, halve the amount and prepare with reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce, and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Start the French onion soup recipe as directed but add 1 to 2 pounds of beef stew meat and sauté with the onions. Add French onion soup mix and only 4 cups broth. Cover and simmer and low about
1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Cut up 2 large potatoes and add for 30 additional minutes of cooking time and serve a healthy stew
Chicago Bistro French Onion Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4 Cup (29g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 5
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||80|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g||0%||14%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||23%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||6%||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||24%||28%|
@290 additional calories per serving with topping.
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|