French Bread Pudding Recipe
A famous dessert from the French quarter and popularized by Commander’s Palace restaurant, this is a family favorite for any occasion, and a perfect finale to a Mardi Gras or Valentines dinner party. Enjoy this homey, yet elegant finish to any fine meal. Serves 12
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups Cream
- 3 cups Milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 20 to 24 slices (inch to inch and a half thick)
- Fresh or stale french bread
French Bread Pudding Recipe Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the large bowl of mixer cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Place bread slices to cover bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan or similar size casserole that is a bit deeper. Pour egg mixture slowly over bread, push down slices until thoroughly soaked.
- Set the pan into a larger baking pan with water to reach halfway up the sides of the pudding casserole. Bake for 45 minutes, until custard still soft, not firm.
- Commander’s Palace serves with a rum or whiskey sauce over it, but you can also use maple syrup warmed in the microwave. Whipped cream is an option as well.