Farmer’s Market Vegetable Stew Recipe
Shop your local farmer’s market and prepare this splendid late summer supper.
- Olive oil or grape seed oil for sauteing vegetables
- 1 large purple/red onion, chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 small eggplants or 1 large, cut up
- 1 pint small patty pan squash or zucchini, ends cut off, cut in quarters
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves snipped into strips
- 1 cup chicken broth
Vegetable Stew Recipe Directions:
- Heat 1 – 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet and saute onion.
- Spread onions at bottom of large casserole or 2 medium baking dishes.
- Cut kernels off cobs and sprinkle on top of onions.
- Sprinkle fresh spinach leaves on top of onion.
- Crumble and saute turkey sausage in skillet. When lightly browned spread it in the casserole.
- Heat additional 4 tablespoons of oil and saute eggplant until lightly browned. Layer eggplant into casserole.
OR, Toss chunks of eggplant and mushrooms in 4 Tablespoons oil. Place onto baking sheet and roast in 450 degree oven about 18 minutes. Use spatula to remove and spread in the casserole.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute mushrooms. Layer them into casserole.
- Sprinkle diced tomato, feta cheese and basil on top.
- Pour over broth, cover, and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and serve with crusty Italian bread!