Cornbread Tomato Salad Recipe
- 8 cups mixed greens: spring greens, arugula, baby spinach, romaine, or other
- 1 pint grape or sweet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 package Appalachian Trail or Santa Fe Trail Cornbread Mix
- 4 ears fresh corn, boiled about 6 minutes or grilled (optional)
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, cubed (optional)
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut up (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 packet Pesto Dip Mix
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
Cornbread Tomato Salad Recipe Directions:
- Prepare corn bread according to directions on package. Allow to cool.
- Remove corn bread from pan. Heat barbecue grill to high, brush each side of corn bread with olive oil and grill just until grill marks appear, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove cornbread and cut into 1-inch cubes. (This can be done a day ahead, cover cubes loosely and allow to dry.)
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in jar with tight fitting lid. Shake and set aside.
- In large salad bowl combine lettuce greens, tomatoes, and onion.
- Shake and add vinaigrette, gently toss salad.
- Add cornbread and any optional additions. Mix gently and serve.
Note: If making ahead, add the cornbread just before serving so it doesn’t get soggy.