Bright yellow and super sweet (non GMO) corn, red peppers, and rice, combine with diced potato and cream additions for this top selling and versatile soup. A Sofi award winner!
Corn Chowder Soup Mix Ingredients:
Corn, Rice, Onion, Carrot, Red Bell Pepper, Celery, Chives and Spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
What you need:
- 2 to 3 White Potatoes
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Heavy or Whipping Cream
- Optional: Add Diced Chicken Breast, Crabmeat, or Clams to taste for a meatier chowder.
When fresh corn is available, cut the kernels off 2 or 3 cobs and set aside. Add cobs to the broth with the potatoes and continue with the recipe. Remove cobs and add the fresh corn with the cream.
Here's what you do:
- Peel and dice potatoes and place in a 4-quart pot.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add contents of Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder Mix and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Add cream and heat uncovered on low until slightly thickened for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add along with potatoes, 1½ cups chopped cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper, or leeks.
- To boost whole grains, and to further thicken soup add 1 cup quick oatmeal in final 10 minutes of cooking. Puree soup with hand immersion blender.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, add 1 pound scallops or cut up firm white fish.
- To cut saturated fat, puree 1 can low sodium corn with 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat milk until creamy. Substitute for cream.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Scallops and Shrimp Chowder Recipe Variation:
- Add ½ pound each of scallops and peeled medium shrimp after adding the cream for last ten minutes of cooking time.
Clam Chowder Recipe Variation:
- Add 1-2 cans drained clams for the last five minutes of cooking time.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended crock pot: 4 quart.
Preparing the Soup:
- Peel and dice 2-3 potatoes and place potatoes and broth in the bowl of 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add contents of the Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder Mix, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add cream and continue cooking on low 30 minutes to one hour. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- If fresh corn is in season, strip the kernels off 2 or 3 ears of corn and put the cobs in the slow cooker for the all-day cooking. Add the fresh kernels with the cream for the final hour of cooking.
- If adding fresh or frozen seafood, add that for the final hour of cooking also.
- Many people like to add cooked, shredded chicken.
Illinois Prairie Corn Chowder
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 8 oz. Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: 10
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||144|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||24%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||45%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||4%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%||7%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|