Secret ingredients of cinnamon and unsweetened chocolate give this dark bean mix its original character. The addition of barbeque sauce with ground beef adds a sweet tang to this easy-to-prepare chili.
Cincinnati Chili Mix Ingredients:
Dark red kidney beans, dark chocolate, sliced onion, cinnamon, garlic, chili spices, mustard and cayenne.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 2 lbs ground sirloin (or chuck or round)
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (sweet rather than smoky)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Crumble and brown ground meat in a 3 to 4-quart pot with 1 or 2 tablespoons oil, if desired.
- Add contents of Midwest Weekend Cincinnati Style Chili Mix. Stir in additions and bring to a simmer.
- Add contents of chocolate packet and cook on low heat, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
Serve up this crowd-pleasing chili three ways: Cincinnati-style in a bowl with spaghetti and topped with grated cheese, or barbecue beef-style in a soft bun sandwich, or make a Mexican mole sauce by leaving out the meat above. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve as a sauce over chicken breasts with rice.
Midwest Weekend Cincinnati Chili
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Cup (20g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 8
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||20||90|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 2.5g*||4%||15%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%||24%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|