Chickpea Salad Recipe
If you have a package of New Mexico Mesa Spicy Fiesta soup, use the chickpeas from that package. (Save the spice packet and simmer it with a cup of rice and 3 cups of chicken broth for an easy side dish with chicken or pork chops.) A 1-cup serving of the chickpeas will provide about 15 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber for a nutrition packed meal in any season.
- 12 ounces dried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poupon mustard, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Choose 3 or 4. The more additions the more texture this great Mediterranean salad will have. It can be a side dish or main course!
- About 6 ounces artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup purple onion, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced in half
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3-4 ounces fresh baby arugula
- 2 ounces pine nuts or sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 cups cut up chicken breast
Chickpea Salad Recipe Directions:
- Rinse, drain and pick over peas. Place in a medium bowl with water filled to the top. Let the peas soak overnight.
- Drain peas and bring to a simmer in fresh water for 1-1/2 hours. Test peas by pressing a pea against the side of the cook pot with the back of a spoon. The peas should be firm but tender; they should be able to be squashed, but not mushy. Place peas in colander to drain.
- Prepare all fresh additions.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice and mustard in bottom of large salad bowl.
- Add in fresh ingredients, toss and serve or may refrigerate until ready to use. We like a light dressing, but feel free to add a couple more tablespoons of lemon juice and olive oil, if you’ve added a lot of fresh ingredients.