Add chicken to this all natural mix of peas, carrots, potatoes, and white beans with just the right seasoning for a soup as thick and rich as the inside of a chicken pot pie. Gluten free when prepared with corn starch. Great for campers too! Makes about 6 12-oz. servings.
Chicken Stew Mix Ingredients:
Dehydrated white beans, potato, onion, carrot, peas, celery, yellow pepper, thyme and sage. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour or use cornstarch for gluten free
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut up
- Freshly ground pepper
Chicken Stew Recipe Directions:
- In a four quart pot melt butter and saute’ onion 5 minutes.
- Add flour or cornstarch, stir continuously for 30 seconds to form paste.
- Stir in broth, raise heat, and bring to a simmer. Stir until thickens.
- Add contents of Colorado Campfire Chicken Stew mix and chicken.
- Bring to a simmer again, cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Serve this thick-as-pot pie soup with biscuits on the side!
Soup will thicken if made ahead, may want to add 1 or 2 cups more broth when serving.
Biscuits for Dumplings (Optional)
- For chicken and dumplings add biscuits at same time as the chicken to the top of the stew and simmer covered, spooning soup over the top of the dumplings occasionally.
Great for Campers!
- For easy campfire cooking just simmer broth with the soup mix and canned chicken for a hearty meal with biscuits.
New! Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variation:
The essence of comfort food is a good recipe for Chicken pot pie. For a great way to use leftovers and get 2 meals out of one soup mix, prepare the Colorado Campfire chicken stew per directions on the package.
- Have soup for supper for 2 to 3, and save the remainder.
- Refrigerate overnight. Use Pillsbury refrigerator pie crust, two round crusts in each box.
- Place first crust at bottom of pie pan.
- Fill with leftover soup, now nice and thick from refrigeration.
- Top with second sheet of pie crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
OR, Put the left over thick soup into an 8 x 8 inch pyrex pan and bake for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Remove from oven, top with pop-open refrigerator biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grand biscuits) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer until the biscuits are golden.
Colorado Campfire Chicken Stew
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 5 Tbsp. (25g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 8
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||80|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||14%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||23%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%||20%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|