This is a thick and homey chicken and rice soup with classic poultry herbs for delicious flavor.
Chicken and Rice Soup Mix Ingredients:
Jasmine Rice, Carrot, Celery, Onion, Spinach, Scallion, and Spices No added Salt, Perservatives, or MSG.
You Will Also Need:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounce chicken breast, cut up (2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced, or 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
Here's What You Do:
- In a 3 or 4-quart pot bring broth to a simmer.
- Add contents of Kentucky Homestead Chicken and Rice Soup Mix and chicken.
- Simmer covered on low for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped celery or fennel, and lemon juice.
- Cover and simmer on low 10 minutes and serve.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 cup chopped leeks with soup mix and/or add 1 cup chopped fresh green beans in final 5 minutes of cooking.
- To boost whole grains, add 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice or 1/2 cup whole grain quinoa and 1 cup water with soup mix.
- To cut saturated fat, remove any skin from chicken breast.
- To cut sodium prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Easy preparation of delicious bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts:
- Place chicken into 3 or 4-quart pot with cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, allow pot to cool 30 minutes or longer.
- Remove chicken from water.
- Pull the breast meat off the bone, discarding the bones and skin.
- Using two forks, shred the breast meat into bite size pieces.
Soup will be thick and hearty. Save a cup of your chicken cooking water to add to soup, if desired.
Want your soup in a hurry? Pick up a roasted chicken at your local market or about 12 ounces of packaged roast chicken strips, and shred breast meat for soup.
Kentucky Homestead Chicken and Rice Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 1/4 cup (18g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 8
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||25|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%%||15%%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||5%|
|Trans Fat 0|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||4%||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%||8%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|