A thick and flavorful meatless black bean soup, add chopped purple onion, and orange juice for a delicious twist! Garnish with sour cream and blue tortilla chips. This black bean soup mix is perfectly complemented with our Santa Fe Trail Cornbread Mix!
Serve this delicious black bean soup bonanza topped with sour cream, chopped, fresh purple onion and blue tortilla chips for garnish.
Black Bean Soup Mix Ingredients:
Black turtle beans, black-eyed peas, peppers, carrots, onions, celery, shallots, cayenne and spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup orange or grapefruit juice
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
Black Bean Soup Recipe Directions:
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. For a time-saving alternative, boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans, and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours until tender but not mushy. Then drain the beans.
While beans are simmering:
- In a separate 4 quart pot over medium low heat, sauté onion in oil for 10 minutes, add the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable packet and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add drained beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree half the soup and return to pot.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, on low heat for 15 minutes.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker: 3-4 quart
Preparing the soup starting the night before:
- Rinse, drain and pick over beans. (That is a standard direction on cooking beans. We use beautiful triple "washed" beans, so they are quite clean and shiny without dirt particles.)
- Place beans in 2 quart slow cooker, adding 1-2 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to soak a minimum of two hours or overnight at room temperature.
In the morning:
- In a medium skillet sauté purple onion in oil for 5 minutes, adding the garlic for the last two minutes. Stir in the contents of soup seasoning packet. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of slow cooker.
- Drain and add the beans to the slow cooker. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Turn heat up to HIGH for 2 hours. This direction can be reversed. Cook on high for 2 hours and then low for about 8 hours.
- Use an immersion blender and puree the soup in the slow cooker. Or, remove and run soup through a food processor to puree.
- Add orange juice, salt and pepper to taste, stir thoroughly, reheating, and serve. We like to top it with a dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of fresh chopped purple onion.
Cooking times for slow cookers vary, some are hotter than others. This particular bean needs 2 hours on high after presoaking as directed above.
Texas Wrangler Black Bean Soup
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 1/3 Cup (45g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 6
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||35|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0.5g*||1%||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||10%||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%||44%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|