A rich and flavorful pureed meatless soup, add purple onions and orange juice for a sweet tang and satisfying meal.
Black Bean Soup Mix Ingredients:
Black Turtle Beans, Black Eye Peas, Mixed Bell Peppers, Carrot, Onion, Celery, Shallots, Cayenne and Spices. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup orange or grapefruit juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Here's what you do:
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over beans.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator. Or, for a quick soak, boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans, and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours until tender but not mushy. Then drain the beans.
While beans are simmering:
- In a 4-quart pot over medium low heat, sauté onion in oil for 10 minutes, add the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Add contents of Texas Wrangler Black Bean Soup vegetable packet and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add drained, prepared beans and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender, purée half the soup and return to pot.
- Stir in orange juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Optional: Garnish with sour cream, chopped purple onion, and blue tortilla chips!
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups fresh or frozen, chopped carrots or sweet potatoes in final 30 minutes of cooking before puréeing the soup.
- To boost fruit, add 1 1/2 cups fresh orange segments or mandarin oranges canned or packed in 100% juice or water.
- To give a Mediterranean twist, top each serving with 1 tablespoon unsalted cashews.
- To cut sodium, omit the salt and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
- To cut added sugars, prepare with 100% orange or grapefruit juice. Like adding wine to a stew, orange juice adds a touch of sweetness.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
Preparing the soup starting the night before:
- Rinse, drain and pick over beans. (That is a standard direction on cooking beans. We use beautiful triple "washed" beans, so they are quite clean and shiny without dirt particles.)
- Place beans in 2 quart slow cooker, adding 1-2 quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to soak a minimum of two hours or overnight at room temperature.
In the morning:
- In a medium skillet sauté purple onion in oil for 5 minutes, adding the garlic for the last two minutes. Stir in the contents of soup seasoning packet. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of slow cooker.
- Drain and add the beans to the slow cooker. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Turn heat up to HIGH for 2 hours. This direction can be reversed. Cook on high for 2 hours and then low for about 8 hours.
- Use an immersion blender and puree the soup in the slow cooker. Or, remove and run soup through a food processor to puree.
- Add orange juice, salt and pepper to taste, stir thoroughly, reheating, and serve. We like to top it with a dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of fresh chopped purple onion.
Cooking times for slow cookers vary, some are hotter than others. This particular bean needs 2 hours on high after presoaking as directed above.
Texas Wrangler Black Bean Soup
This product is currently out of stock.
Please check back again later.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 1/3 Cup (45g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 6
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||5||35|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0.5g*||1%||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||10%||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%||44%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|