Pepper, lentils, potatoes and carrots combine with ground beef for a quick version of an old fashioned goulash. Serve in a bowl or on top of egg noodles. Makes a rustic meal in 45 minutes.
Beef Goulash Mix Ingredients:
Green lentils, potato, red and green bell pepper, carrot, onion, paprika, leek, caraway seed and spices.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 1 lb. ground round
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: a dollop of sour cream on each serving
- In a 4-quart pot heat oil over medium high heat.
- Crumble and brown ground beef.
- Add contents of Wyoming Fireside Beef Goulash Mix and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth, bring to a simmer and cover for 35 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, cover and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place in bowls with sour cream on top and serve. Freezes well, if prepared ahead.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 cup chopped onion and brown with ground beef, and add an extra can no salt added tomatoes and 1 cup chopped celery for final 20 minutes.
- To boost whole grains in the Inventive Variations suggestion on the package and website, prepare with whole wheat wide egg noodles.
- To go Vegetarian, substitute 1 pound fresh sliced mushrooms for the ground beef.
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with extra lean ground beef, bison or turkey, or go Vegetarian. Also substitute nonfat, plain Greek yogurt for sour cream to finish when serving.
- To cut sodium, prepare with no salt added, canned diced tomatoes and add 1 small fresh finely chopped, serrano chili pepper, and prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth and use reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce.
- Serve on top of cooked wide egg noodles for a classic Eastern European dish.
- For a soupier version that will serve more people, add one 12 oz. bottle of a hearty beer and serve with crusty whole grain bread.
Wyoming Fireside Beef Goulash
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 1/4 Cup (30g)
Prepared Serving Size: 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 6
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||60|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0.5g*||0%||11%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%||24%|
*Amount in Mix.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|