An old-fashioned beef stew Shiitake mushrooms, leeks, and lentils. Add cubed beef or oxtails to prepare this rustic, hearty meal.
Beef Barley Soup Mix Ingredients:
Baby limas, lentils, barley, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, leeks, herbs and paprika. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.
Allergen Information: This product contains pearled barley.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 very large onion, sliced
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat or oxtails
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 turnips or potatoes, peeled and diced
- Handful of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- Brown onion and meat in butter in an 8 quart pot.
- Add beef barley soup mix, broth, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, slowly for 2 to 3 hours (longer for oxtails) or until beans are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add turnips, sherry and mushrooms and continue cooking, covered, for 1 hour or more.
This stewy beef barely soup can be made a day ahead or frozen and reheated.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 2 cups fresh, chopped carrots or cubed butternut squash for final 45 minutes of cooking time.
- To go Vegetarian prepare with 2 lbs. of fresh mushrooms as substitute for beef. (See Vegetarian Variation on package or website.)
- To cut saturated fat, prepare with 1 pound extra lean beef or bison, and trim off any visible, solid fat from meat, or go Vegetarian. Prepare with 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter instead of 2 tablespoons butter to brown onions.
- To cut sodium, prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Vegetarian Recipe Variation:
- Make mushrooms the meat of the stew.
- Substitute beef broth with vegetable broth. Cut quantity of broth to 8 cups.
- Instead of using beef, add 1 to 2 pounds of fresh mushrooms sautéed to start the recipe.
- Finish with the diced turnip or potato and sherry for the last 45 minutes.
Slow Cooker Recipe Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 6-7 quart size
- In large skillet brown meat and onion a butter. Drain and transfer to bowl of slow cooker.
- Add contents of soup mix and broth. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in sherry, mushrooms, turnips.
- Cook 1 to 2 hours longer covered on high, and serve.
Dakota Territory Beef Barley Bean Stew
Nutrition FactsServing Size: About 3 Tbsp. (26g) Dry Mix
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 Cup
Serving Per Container: About 16
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||100|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||17%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||23%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%||32%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|