A mixture of colorful beans seasoned with a hint of curry makes this heartwarming meal. Add gourmet chicken sausage and a diced apple, and welcome friends to the farmhouse for a casual weekend. (This soup was formerly named Holiday Gathering Sausage and Bean Soup Mix.)
Soup Mix Ingredients:
Cranberry, navy and red beans, split peas, carrot, red bell pepper, celery, curry powder, garlic and basil.
Allergen Information: Certified Gluten-Free
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken apple or other specialty sausage, cut up
- 1 large apple, diced
- 3-4 ounces fresh baby spinach
Preparing the beans:
- Rinse, drain, and pick over beans.
- Place beans in a bowl, cover with plenty of water and allow to soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight.
- drain bens, place in 4-qt. pot with 2 qts. fresh water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 1.5 hours.
While the beans are simmering:
- In a 4-quart soup pot, saute sausage pieces in oil about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in contents of Vermont Farmhouse Apple Sausage and Bean Soup Mix seasoning packet
- Add broth, drained beans, and apple pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Just before serving stir in fresh spinach, cook uncovered for 5 minutes, and serve.
New Nutrition Tips:
- To boost vegetables, add 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen, diced butternut squash or shredded green cabbage when adding apple pieces.
- To boost fruit, prepare with 2 large diced apples.
- To go Vegetarian, substitute 1 diced medium eggplant, 1 chopped small onion, and 3 minced garlic cloves for sausage.
- To cut saturated fat and sodium, halve the amount of sausage and prepare with low-fat, lower sodium chicken sausage, or substitute 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey plus either 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper spice or 1/2 teaspoon each salt-free garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, or go Vegetarian. To make spicy, add 1 finely chopped small hot chili pepper, such as a jalapeno or serrano chili pepper, when adding drained beans, broth and apple pieces. Or add 1-3 teaspoons curry powder.
- To cut sodium prepare with low sodium broth. To cut sodium further, substitute water for half of the broth.
Inventive Recipe Variations:
*Turkey and chicken sausages are becoming widely available in intriguing flavors. We tried a delightfully spicy chicken sausage with sun dried tomatoes and basil as well as turkey breakfast sausage. Let us know what specialty sausage you like.
Our various cooks recommend: Andouille, Kielbasa and many specialty varieties of chicken sausage links. Breakfast turkey sausage does not seem to enhance the texture or flavor of the basic soup. Be sure to add the spinach just before serving, do not prepare soup ahead and freeze with the spinach.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Recommended slow cooker size: 4-6 quart
Preparing the beans the night before:
- Rinse, drain, and pick over beans.
- Place beans in a bowl with 2 quarts water, let stand on counter overnight.
Assembling the soup in the morning (or night before):
- In large skillet sauté the sausage in oil about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in contents of seasoning packet.
- Transfer to bowl of slow cooker and add broth. (May cover and refrigerate overnight).
- Drain beans and add to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours.
- Add spinach, cook 30 minutes until spinach is absorbed into soup and serve.
Vermont Farmhouse Apple Sausage and Bean Soup Mix
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/4cup (36g)
Prepared Serving Size: About 1 cup (245g)
Serving Per Container: About 12
|Amount per Serving||Mix||Prepared|
|Calories from Fat||0||70|
|% Daily Value**|
|Total Fat 0g*||0%||12%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||7%||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||37%||42%|
*Amount in As packaged. About 1 cup prepared contributes an additional 100 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5 g Total Fat (1.5 g Saturated Fat), 25 mg Cholesterol, 790 mg Sodium, 7 g Total Carbohydrate (1 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars), 7 g Protein.
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Saturated Fat||Less than||20g||25g|
|Calories per gram:||Fat 9||Carbohydrate 4||Protein 4|