Alice’s Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Alice hosted a large two-family Thanksgiving for many years in St. Louis. This is one of many dishes she prepared. Alice said, “I doubled the recipe and should have used a larger diameter casserole because I had a lake over my sweet potatoes—but what a lake!”
- 3-4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 packet Frontier Soups Pumpkin Spice Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 package marshmallows, mini or regular
Alice’s Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Directions:
- Bring sweet potatoes to a boil in large pot and simmer covered about 30 minutes until tender. Drain and cool enough to peel.
- Peel and mash the potatoes in same pot, add 1 stick butter, salt, and half the contents of the pumpkin spice mix. Mash and blend well.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture in bottom of 2 quart casserole/baking dish. Scoop a 1 inch deep hollow in the mixture leaving a 1 inch rim around the edge.
- In top of a double boiler over medium heat cook the second stick of butter, brown sugar, egg and bourbon until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour syrup into center and over the top of sweet potatoes.
- Place marshmallows around the rim. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Can make ahead and cover, bake when ready.